Festal is an enzyme drug used to compensate for the depressed functions of the pancreas and liver.
The preparation contains the following enzymes: amylase, protease, lipase, hemicellulase, as well as bovine bile extract. They have a positive effect on the digestion of nutrients, increasing the quality of their absorption, break down fiber, reduce gas formation. Festal helps to dilute fats with water and improves their digestibility. It is indicated for use in pancreatitis, liver damage, loss of bile acid, disorders of bile formation, bile output, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The duration of the drug course varies considerably and is calculated in days (with digestive disorders due to overuse of "wrong" food) or even years (as part of replacement therapy with insufficient functioning of the internal organs involved in digestion due to chronic diseases).
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much is Festal in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 195 rubles.
Composition and release form
Festal is available in the form of enteric pills. They have a white color, round shape, glossy surface.
- The composition of the drug includes active ingredients: pancreatin, hemicellulase and components of bile.
Additional ingredients: sodium chloride, cellulose phosphate, ethyl vanillin, sucrose, castor oil, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, gelatin, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, dextrose liquid, acacia gum, calcium carbonate, glycerol, macrogol, titanium dioxide, talc.
Active active ingredients of the drug are hemicellulase, pancreatin and components of bile. Sodium chloride acts as an auxiliary substance, which is a part of dragees. The shell consists of titanium dioxide, macrogol, talc, liquid dextrose, gelatin, propyl parahydroxybenzoate, methyl parahydroxybenzoate, sucrose, castor oil, ethyl vanillin, and cellulose cellulose.
When applying Festal due to pancreatin eliminates the insufficiency of the exocrine function of the pancreas, and also thanks to the bile component normalizes the biliary function of the liver. The drug has amylolytic, proteolytic and lipolytic action. When used, Festal improves the digestion of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, which speeds up their absorption in the small intestine.
The tool corrects biliary insufficiency, promotes the secretion of lipase from the pancreas, accelerates the breakdown of plant fiber and reduces the formation of gases in the intestine.
Indications for use
What helps? The main indications for Festal are pancreatic insufficiency, accompanied by chronic pancreatitis, as well as biliary insufficiency with impaired food digestion, flatulence, constipation, etc. during treatment:
- large losses of bile acids, for example, after undergoing cholecystectomy;
- diffuse liver diseases, such as cirrhosis of the liver, alcohol and toxic liver damage;
- failure of the circulation of bile acids, as a result of biliary dyskinesia, dysbiosis and malabsorption;
- disorders of the neurohumoral regulation of various processes of bile formation or bile secretion, accompanied by chronic gastrointestinal diseases, for example, chronic forms of gastritis, duodenitis or cholecystitis;
- deviations in the digestion of food in people with normal gastrointestinal function with changes in nutrition, problems with chewing function, sedentary lifestyle, and so on;
- when preparing for an ultrasound of the abdominal organs or x-rays.
The drug can not be taken in the following conditions:
- Mechanical jaundice.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Gallstone disease.
- Exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis.
- Increased bilirubin content in the blood.
- Hypersensitivity to auxiliary components.
- Acute pancreatitis.
- Addiction to diarrhea.
- Empyema gallbladder.
- Hepatic insufficiency, coma or precoma.
Festal is also contraindicated for children under 3 years old.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
It should be noted that Festal during pregnancy is prescribed with extreme caution. As a rule, find out whether pregnant women can take this or other medications, you need from your doctor. According to the instructions for breastfeeding and pregnancy, the use of this drug is allowed if the benefit for treating a woman far exceeds the risk of developing undesirable effects for the baby.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Festal should be taken orally, without chewing, during or immediately after a meal, washed down with a small amount of liquid.
- Adults are prescribed 1-2 tablets 3 times / day. Higher doses are prescribed by a doctor.
The use of the drug in children prescribed by a doctor.
- The duration of treatment can vary from several days (in case of disturbance of the digestive process due to errors in the diet) to several months or years (if necessary, continuous replacement therapy).
Before radiological or ultrasound examination - 2 pills 2-3 times / day for 2-3 days before the study.
During treatment with Festal, there were complaints from patients about:
- Allergic reactions that were manifested by sneezing, lacrimation, hyperemia of the skin.
- Feeling nauseous, diarrhea or intestinal colic.
It is also possible to increase the content of uric acid in the blood and urine. In children, irritation in the perianal area or oral mucosa was noted as a side effect.
With a significant excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of Festal dragee, uric acid levels may increase, as well as its excretion in the urine. In this case, the drug is canceled and symptomatic therapy is prescribed.
When cystic fibrosis drug should be prescribed with caution, because the dose must be adequate to the quantity and quality of food consumed.
Compatibility with other drugs
When using the drug, you must consider the interaction with other drugs:
- Cimetidine may enhance the effect of the drug.
- Pancreatin may decrease folic acid absorption.
- Prolonged use of pancreatin may reduce the absorption of iron supplements.
- Pancreatin can reduce the effect of acarbose, so you should not use Festal and acarbose simultaneously.
- The simultaneous use of antacid agents containing calcium carbonate and / or magnesium hydroxide, can lead to a decrease in the effectiveness of pancreatin.
- With simultaneous use of the drug Festal increases the absorption of PASK, sulfonamides, antibiotics. Possible reduction in the absorption of iron preparations.
We offer to read the reviews of people who used the Festal:
- Igor Sometimes felt heaviness and bloating in the stomach. I take a tablet festal and in 15-20 minutes it passes. Of course, each patient has its own medicine. It suits me and the side effects are not manifested.
- Helena. Buy festal Indian production! He is better. I always take him on trips, because if I travel, I often move something exotic, and then I don’t know what to do with this state. So I use Indian festal or pancreatin.
- Marina. From an early age I suffer with the stomach. It is worth eating somewhere even the slightest bit of something wrong (and because of the peculiarities of the work, you often have lunch in unfamiliar places) and problems immediately begin. Terrible discomfort, tingling, bloating ... In a word - a nightmare. In general, I am very glad that there is such a reliable tool as “Festal”. Always helps out. I have a pack in each bag, in order to be always at hand. Without it, I feel insecure. Well, that price allows you to stock up, but it would have ruined already. And I also like that, thanks to the shell that covered the dragees, it is easy to take it even without water.
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Gastenorm Forte;
- Creon 10,000;
- Creon 25,000;
- Creon 40,000;
- Mezim 20,000;
- Mezim forte;
- Mezim Forte 10,000;
- Pangrol 25000;
- Pangrol 10,000;
- Panzim Forte;
- Panzinorm 10,000;
- Panzinorm Forte 20000;
- Pancreatin Forte;
- Festal H;
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Festal or Mezim - which is better?
There are several drug analogues that have the same composition and purpose. One of the popular substitutes is Mezim. What is better Festal or Mezim - the doctor will tell in detail, taking into account the individual characteristics and the diagnosis of the patient. Both means pancreatic.
They also have the same composition and they both participate in the digestion of food. Festal and Mezim consists of three main components that help in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins. The difference between Festal and Mezim is that it also contains bile, which can cause allergies in a patient. There is no such substance in the Mezime.
More drugs differ in the form of release. Festal is made in the form of a dragee of white color, protected by a special shell. It does not dissolve until it reaches the small intestine, that is, the active substances of the drug are not destroyed by the action of an acidic environment. Mezim is available in pink tablets, without a special shell, because it can begin its therapeutic effect directly in the intestine, which may not alleviate the patient's condition later.
Also the difference between Mezim and Festal in price. Mezim is worth more than Festal. This is due to the constant advertising of the drug on TV, and not its medicinal data.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Dragee should be stored in a dry place out of the reach of children. The storage temperature of the drug should not exceed 25 degrees. It is forbidden to take the medicine after the expiration date (the instructions for use indicate that the pills can be taken within 36 months from the date of manufacture).