Otinum is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent for topical use in otorhinolaryngological practice.
It has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects. In the acidic and alkaline environment has antimicrobial and antifungal effects.
The drug perfectly relieves pain in various diseases of the ear, and also shows effectiveness as an antiseptic. In the role of active substances Otinum salicylate and glycerol.
Clinical and pharmacological group
NSAIDs for local use in ENT practice.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a doctor's prescription.
How much do Otinum drops in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 230 rubles.
Release form and composition
Otinum is produced in the form of ear drops (a slightly transparent yellowish solution with a characteristic odor) containing 1 ml of 200 mg of choline salicylate and auxiliary substances: glycerol, ethanol, chlorbutanol hemihydrate, purified water.
In plastic dropper bottles with a screw-on cap of 10 g, 1 bottle in a carton box.
Local use of drops has an analgesic effect. Pharmaceutical medicine suppresses inflammation due to its ability to inhibit the activity of cyclooxygenase, an enzyme that promotes the production of prostaglandins.
The drug inhibits thromboxane and prostacyclin synthesis. Provides antifungal and antimicrobial effect. Quickly absorbed by 90% of the tissues of the mucous membrane.
Glycerol softens sulfur, contributing to its effective discharge and removal of traffic jams. Localized use of drops does not have a systemic effect on the body.
Indications for use
What helps? Drops Otinum can be used in such situations:
- acute form of otitis media;
- acute otitis externa;
- recurrent chronic otitis media;
- trophic and infectious ulcers that appear on the mucous membranes of the mouth and nasopharynx.
Otinum quite successfully can be used in the formation of sulfur plugs. Using drops, you can soften the sulfur and wash the ear canal.
- Violation of the integrity of the eardrum.
- Children's age (due to the lack of data on the safety and efficacy of the drug).
- Hypersensitivity to the main or auxiliary components.
- The period of pregnancy and breastfeeding (due to lack of data on the safety and efficacy of the drug).
- A complete or incomplete combination of intolerance to acetylsalicylic acid or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (including a history), recurrent polyposis of the paranasal sinuses and nose, and bronchial asthma.
Otinum is used with caution in polyps of the mucous membrane of the nasal passages and allergic ("hay") rhinitis.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Since there are no clear data on the effect of Otinum on pregnant women and the developing fetus, during pregnancy, as well as during lactation, no medicine is prescribed.
Dosage and method of use
In the instructions for use indicated that the ear drops Otinum should bury the patient lying on his side; after the procedure, the patient must remain in the same position for several minutes. Before using the ear drops, it is recommended to warm the bottle by holding it in your hand, in order to avoid unpleasant sensations associated with the ingress of cold liquid into the ear.
- In acute otitis media, myringitis and otitis externa buried in the external auditory canal, 3-4 drops 3-4 times a day. The course of treatment is not more than 10 days.
- To soften the “sulfur plugs”, they are instilled 3-4 drops into the ear canal 2 times a day for four days before their removal.
There is no need to change the dosing regimen for the elderly and patients with impaired liver and kidney function.
After the application of otumum there is a risk of burning during instillation. Some people develop allergic reactions. If therapy lasts too long, there is a risk of hearing loss.
A similar result may occur when perforation of the eardrum.
Local use of the drug eliminates cases of overdose. Even if you make a mistake with the number of drops, such a number will harm only the newborn child.
Symptoms occurring in case of drug overdose:
- nausea, vomiting;
- noise in ears;
- feeling of disorientation;
- rapid breathing.
If the drug has reached the maximum dose, in this case there may be a violation of blood circulation, a violation of the central nervous system, a violation of breathing.
If an overdose occurs, the following measures apply:
- gastric lavage;
- reception of activated carbon;
- restoration of water and electrolyte balance of the body.
Like all derivatives of salicylic acid, choline salicylate, hitting the middle ear through the damaged eardrum, can cause hearing loss and even deafness. For this reason, it is recommended to use the drug only after examining the otorhinolaryngologist, and to limit the treatment to the required minimum.
Enhances the effect of other anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and analgesic agents.
We picked up some reviews of people who used Otinum drops:
- Irina. Treated medication inflammation of the middle ear. She buried the medicinal solution according to the instructions for about a week. The effect of the use of the tool felt almost instantly: the unbearable throbbing pain inside the ear was gone. After a week after the start of the course of treatment, the disease completely subsided.
- Anastasia. I had a problem with my ears, at first I heard a little worse than the beginning, and then the pain appeared. The doctor said that the cork was in the ear, but they did not immediately remove it, they appointed Otinum for several days, and only then it went to get the cork. Otinum in my opinion good drops, help with pain cope and cork soften when instilled. And the reason for all this - the headphones. On the way to work, home and just walking - always in the ears., Without music, nowhere. I didn’t know what might come to this, now I will be more circumspect.
- Julia. Applied the medicine against acute external otitis. The doctor prescribed 3 drops of solution in each ear three times a day during the week. I must say, this medicine has helped very quickly get rid of severe pain and discharge from the ear canal. A few days after the start of treatment, the symptoms of the disease disappeared altogether.
Analogs of Otinum are:
- According to the active substance (choline salicylate) - Holicaps;
- According to the mechanism of action (analgesics and anesthetics for the treatment of otological diseases) - Lidocaine + Phenazone, Otipaks, Ottooslavin, Otirelaks, Folikap.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The drug is released without a prescription. The shelf life of the solution is 3 years from the date of its production. Drops should be stored at 25 ° C, keep out of the reach of children and direct sunlight.