Finger arthritis is a severe, progressive disease that leads to disability in the absence of proper treatment. This disease is by no means the lot of the elderly - the disfiguring joints progression of the inflammatory process can begin in people of any age.
As with any other disease, to achieve a good effect and completely get rid of the arthritis of the fingers, you need to start fighting it as soon as possible. That is why the treatment of this disease should be carried out quickly, efficiently and, most importantly, on time.
Why does finger arthritis occur, and what is it? Generally speaking, arthritis is an inflammation of the joints of the human body. Absolutely any joints can become inflamed, however, most often it appears on any small joints. For example, this is a common disease of the joints of the toes and hands. For the most part, arthritis is a female disease. According to statistics, men face this disease in two, or even three times, less women.
The main characteristic of any arthritis is inflammation of certain organs. The reasons for its appearance can be several factors, and depending on this arthritis of the joints of the fingers can be of the following types:
- Infectious diseases. This cause is called the main cause of this disease. The disease of the joints of the hands can be a complication of many infectious diseases, for example, colds, ARVI, flu. The risk of complications increases if the patient has a disease on his legs. People suffering from diabetes, tuberculosis, and HIV infection are more susceptible to this complication.
- Exchange disorders lead to the development of non-infectious arthritis types. This form of the disease is characteristic of the elderly, as well as suffering from certain occupational diseases or in the presence of dysfunctions of the endocrine glands.
- Transferred injuries and bruises of the joints, joint surgery, hypothermia create favorable conditions for inflammation and destruction of the tissues of the joints
- Equally important is the hereditary factor. Although there is no exact scientific justification for the genetic mode of transmission of the disease, numerous observations confirm the development of arthritis in the next of kin.
Determining the type of arthritis of the hands is the most important task, since all types have the same first signs, but the treatment of each of them may differ significantly.
Symptoms of arthritis of the fingers
The causes of arthritis of the fingers may be different, and the symptoms in many cases are similar (see photo). This is the appearance of swelling, swelling. The skin gets a purple tinge, weakness appears in the hands. It happens that the temperature rises.
We list the first and main signs of arthritis of the fingers:
- swelling of diseased joints;
- reddened skin in places of injury;
- fever in the period of exacerbation;
- dependence of pain syndrome on seasonal changes - pain often occurs in the cold season;
- severe pain during the movement of the fingers, the pain increases after a long period of rest;
- during exacerbation, stiffness appears, the patient can not even take any object in his hands;
- increased pain closer to the night;
- in rheumatoid arthritis, a symmetrical lesion occurs, in which, with the lesion of one hand, the other is sure to ache;
- weakness, loss of appetite and sleep.
If the lesion was caused by infectious arthritis, complications in the form of purulent inflammations can be observed. In this case, the general condition of the body also sometimes worsens (fever of the whole body, malaise, weak appetite).
Finger arthritis treatment
Depending on what is the cause of the arthritis of the fingers, the treatment is chosen individually.
In the case of gout, our actions are aimed at normalizing the purine metabolism, reducing the concentration of uric acid in the blood, and the uricosuric and uricodepressive drugs and diet will help in this. In rheumatoid arthritis, all our efforts are aimed at modulating the immune response, and immunosuppressants, cytostatics and the latest methods of treatment, such as monoclonal antibody therapy, are used.
The leading role in the treatment of arthritis, especially of rheumatoid origin, belongs to the basic anti-inflammatory drugs, which are prescribed for long-term use (at least 3 months, maximum for life). Drugs in this group are capable of suppressing the activity of immunosuppressive cells and stopping the pathological process, maintaining their effect for a long time after drug withdrawal.
For the treatment of arthritis in the remission period, successfully applied methods such as:
- physiotherapy (electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, UHF heating, etc.);
- physical therapy and massage of the hands;
- baths and applications using mud, essential oils, paraffin;
In the advanced stage, the arthritis of the fingers is practically not amenable to medical treatment. An alternative is to establish a prosthetic joint by surgery.
Acceptable in combination with medicines and other procedures, the treatment of arthritis of the fingers of the hands with folk remedies: home-made ointments, compresses, infusions and decoctions of herbs, baths. Naturally, the mandatory selected methods need to be agreed with your doctor.
- Honey has antiseptic properties, and cinnamon has antioxidant properties. Reliable remedy for pain relief, this is a honey compress. One Art. l honey mix with 1 tbsp. l vegetable oil and 1 tbsp. l dry mustard. Heat the mixture and apply to the joints for 1 hour. Repeat daily. A mixture of honey and cinnamon, from 1 tbsp. l honey and ½ tsp cinnamon, must be applied daily on an empty stomach.
- It is useful in the inflammatory process at bedtime to wind a leaf of white cabbage on a sore spot. Doing so should be a significant relief.
- Since inflammation is a very important damaging factor, it is possible to prepare an anti-inflammatory tincture. Five garlic heads are crushed and filled with 100 grams of vodka, 10 days infused in a warm dry place, which is protected from the sun. One spoon is taken half an hour before meals, three times a day. The use does not end until the tincture of this composition does not end in the container.
- Folk healers praise a compress from grated onions. Together with the juice, it is attached to the sore joints and held for at least half an hour. This procedure is repeated several times a day.
- Well helps with arthritis massage with a mixture of olive oil and celandine. For its preparation we take nine tablespoons, pour one liter of oil and leave in a dark place for two weeks. After that, the tincture must be filtered and used for massage.
All folk remedies can only be used as a preventive and temporary measure. To avoid unpleasant consequences in the early stages of arthritis in the joint tissues of the finger, you should seek specialized help.
In order not to waste time, effort and money on the treatment of this difficult disease, observe the following preventive measures:
- harden, exercise and therapeutic exercises;
- strengthen the immune system;
- watch your body weight;
- stop smoking;
- give up alcohol;
- limit the amount of salt and sugar consumed, and instead eat a few cloves of garlic daily.
You also need to enrich your diet with vitamin E. It should be remembered that you can not lift weights, over-exert yourself, but you need to do every day exercises, swim and stretch.